Museo de la Cofradía de los Estudiantes (Museum of the Brotherhood of Students)
In the Hall of Thrones you can find objects, embroideries, jewels and paintings, from among the outstanding heritage of the Brotherhood. Pictures and real sounds, and interactive displays allow visitors to immerse themselves in the Easter Monday of the Students. The Museum also has an Educational Room to complement a visit to Málaga's Holy Week.
The Brotherhood of Cristo Coronado de Espinas y María Santísima de Gracia y Esperanza (Christ Crowned with thorns and Mary of Grace and Hope), known popularly in Málaga as the Students, was founded in 1945 by a group of students with reference to a 17th-century brotherhood. In the museum, located in the Brotherhood's house, objects are displayed from a modern perspective.
Touch screens or other large-format screens that display videos and photos of the processions are some of the room's multimedia equipment.
The two major items in the collection are the thrones. The Christ is gilt wood and in the "carrete" style, so named because of its shape, guarded by four large lanterns. This work was created by sculptor Christopher Velasco in 1952.
The throne of the Virgin is by Juan Casielles in 1971 and is of silver-plated nickel silver. On the other storeys can be seen various objects belonging to the Brotherhood, decorated in green and red, the colours of the institution. These include the jewels of the Virgin, the Book of Statutes and various processional objects.
Finally, we can highlight the collection of photographs which expound the Brotherhood's history from its beginnings as a group of students, until today.
Although the Brotherhood's house was built in 1999, the museum, that occupies three floors of the building, was not opened until 2005. Its structure was designed by painter Eugenio Chicano, Mari Luz Guerrero and Gabriel Rodrigo, and architect Rafael Martín Delgado also took part.
As does the museum of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre, it shares an extraordinary location in calle Alcazabilla, in front of two historical monuments in the city a few metres from the Palacio de la Aduana.