Although the Customs Palace began life as a tobacco factory and later became the Customs House and seat of the Provincial and Central Government, this spectacular building will soon become the Museum of Málaga.
It was built in 1826 on land reclaimed from the sea. Designed by Manuel Martín Rodríguez in the neoclassical style, the influences of Renaissance palaces make it almost classical baroque.
It is a square building with a striking façade of bossage in the lower part. It has a white stone fascia and vertical lines in the same stone to join the façades. Its windows are regular where the ones at the centre and ends have gables and there is a ceremonial balcony on the façade facing the Parque de Málaga (Málaga Park).
Here we find a large number of towering palm trees that give the building a singular view.
The most outstanding features of the palace are its courtyard and stairs with sturdy marble balustrade consisting of 4 storeys. It was built in the style of the Italian Renaissance palaces with four bays around a central courtyard with porticoes on its first two storeys. It is recessed on the third to accommodate an open gallery with ledge-shaped openwork balustrade, which has low cubic plinths topped by Roman busts at some sections. The courtyard can be accessed through two main doors, one to the south and the other to the west.