San Lázaro Chapel
Period: 15th century. The Chapel of Saint Lazarus was founded by the Catholic Monarchs in 1491, at first, as part of the Hospital that was built on the site. Today, only this chapel remains.
The chapel is in the Mudéjar style and has a single nave with raised chancel covered with two wooden structures, a square one in the chancel and a rectangular one in the nave. Since 1711, the chapel has been the home of the Sacramental Brotherhood of Nuestro Padre Jesús de los Pasos del Monte Calvario and María Santísima del Rocío although the latter is more recent.
Among the imagery, a 17th century Saint Joseph and the distinctive images of the various brotherhoods are all outstanding: the image of the Virgen del Rocio (face, hands and feet where she can be dressed differently depending on the occasion) can be seen on the main altar in a neobaroque altarpiece and that of Jesús Nazareno de los Pasos en el Monte Calvario on the side altar.
The barrel-vault burial crypt is also noteworthy; highly expressive paintings depicting the transition between life and death were made in the late 17th century. The niches crowned with skulls, crossbones and mortuary symbols depict the Fates and death make a chilling allegory.