San Julián Church
Period: 18th century. The Church/Hospital of San Julián has its origins in the Hospital de la Caridad (Charity Hospital) that no longer exists that was provided by the Catholic Monarchs with the name of Hospital del Rey (King's Hospital). Its purpose was to house the poor and homeless besides curing the sick.
In 1680, the Hospital and all its property passed into the hands of the Order of San Juan de Dios, which founded the brotherhood called the Santa Caridad de Ntro. Sr. Jesucristo and the San Julián Hospital to shelter the poor and beggars as well as giving support and burying condemned criminals. In 1821, the municipal Welfare Board closed the church and dispersed the Brotherhood. In 1924, it was donated to the City for the care of the poor and wounded from the war in Africa and was closed in 1931.
The Diocese of Málaga regained ownership in 1972 ceding it to the Agrupación de Cofradías de Semana Santa (Association of Brotherhoods of Holy Week) as their headquarters and to house the Historical Archive of Málaga and Museo de las Cofradías de Málaga (Málaga's Brotherhoods' Museum).
Today the museum is shared by several brotherhoods who begin their Easter processions there.
For more information visit the Museo de la Semana Santa in Málaga.