San Felipe de Neri Church
Period: 18th century. The church was originally a chapel built by the Conde de Buenavista (Count of Buenavista) between 1720-1730 next to a mansion he owned in Calle Gaona. It was opened for worship in 1785. The church façade is classical in design, with a portal in two doors between two projecting tower. The side portals, topped with sturdy curved elements, belong more to the forms of a late 18th century design.
The etchings of intertwined red and ochre geometric forms that decorate the exterior wall of the original chapel are more interesting. They belongs to the styles common in the first quarter of the 18th century. The most outstanding works in this church are the images of the Virgen de Consolación y Lágrimas (Our Lady of Consolation and Tears that can be dressed as the occasion requires) belonging to the Archicofradía de la Sangre (Confraternity of the Blood) carved in the 18th century (restored in 1972 by Álvarez Duarte) and el Crucificado (Christ Crucified), by Francisco Palma Burgos (1941).
The neoclassic canopy in the chancel, made in 1795 of polychrome marble and wood and attributed to José Martín de Aldehuela, is of particular interest. On the opposite side of the church there is an 18th century polychrome clay Ecce Homo. The central chapel has a 20th century altarpiece dedicated to the Orden Tercera de Siervos de María (Third Order of the Servants of Mary) over which an image of Our Lady Virgen de los Dolores presides, an image by Fernando Ortíz that can be dressed differently depending on the occasion. The coat of arms of the Philippians over the balcony of the choir is all that remains of the organ housing built by Aldehuela.