Centro Cultural Fundación Unicaja Málaga
Ars Málaga-Bishop’s Palace, is an art space in which you can visit the noble
area of the palace: arcaded courtyard, imperial stairs, chapel and private
garden. It has rooms to be used for temporary and permanent exhibitions.
The area of the Palacio Episcopal (Bishop’s Palace) that can be visited was
built in 1762 by the head master of the cathedral Antonio Ramos. The main
façade highlights in the exterior part. It reproduces a Baroque front altarpiece,
presided over by the named Virgen de las Angustias, attributed to
have been made by Fernando Ortíz.
In the interior part, one of the most interesting spaces due to their peculiarity
are the stairs of imperial style. Over them, there is hanging a fresco of
the Triunfo de la Eucaristía (Triumph of the Eucharist), an anonymous work
pertaining to Baroque style.
The private chapel of the prelate has a barrel vault with lunettes on the
sides and stained glass windows in the apse, illuminating an intimate space
with niches on both sides and a choir.
In the private garden, that can be visited today, it highlights two sources
and a large tiled plinth of Dutch influence of Delf and made by
the Sevillian school, with twelve scenes of mythological and folk type.
In them, we can see characters own of the XVIIIth century, dressed as
“majos” (inhabitant of the working-class neighbourhoods of Madrid
in the 18th and 19th centuries) and other “à la française”; representing
scenes in the court, art of bullfighting, hunting, music, etc.
A place of peace and tranquillity where the murmur of the water
amidst the bustle of the historic centre of Málaga can be listened to.