Santos Mártires Church
15th - 18th centuries. Founded in 1494 in honour of San Ciriaco and Santa Paula, patron saints of Málaga , this church is home to no fewer than five canonical brotherhoods linked to Málaga's Easter Week celebrations, which is the highest of brotherhoods that have joined up forces together of all the city's churches.
It is in the Gothic-Mudéjar style and it has undergone several renovations to put right the damage it has suffered throughout its history: a cannonball in 1854, the 1884 earthquake and looting in 1936 when it was turned into the Quartermaster's Store in the Spanish Civil War. After it underwent restoration work in 1945 and 2006, it became one of the finest examples of Rococo style.
There is a beautiful neobaroque altarpiece from Málaga's image-maker Pérez Hidalgo.
San Felipe Neri Church
Period: 18th century. The church was originally a chapel built by the Conde de Buenavista (Count of Buenavista) between 1720-1730 next to a mansion he owned in Calle Gaona. It was opened for worship in 1785. The church façade is classical in design, with a portal in two doors between two projecting tower. The side portals, topped with sturdy curved elements, belong more to the forms of a late 18th century design.
The etchings of intertwined red and ochre geometric forms that decorate the exterior wall of the original chapel are more interesting. They belongs to the styles common in the first quarter of the 18th century. The most outstanding works in this church are the images of the Virgen de Consolación y Lágrimas (Our Lady of Consolation and Tears that can be dressed as the occasion requires) belonging to the Archicofradía de la Sangre (Confraternity of the Blood) carved in the 18th century (restored in 1972 by Álvarez Duarte) and el Crucificado (Christ Crucified), by Francisco Palma Burgos (1941).
The neoclassic canopy in the chancel, made in 1795 of polychrome marble and wood and attributed to José Martín de Aldehuela, is of particular interest. On the opposite side of the church there is an 18th century polychrome clay Ecce Homo. The central chapel has a 20th century altarpiece dedicated to the Orden Tercera de Siervos de María (Third Order of the Servants of Mary) over which an image of Our Lady Virgen de los Dolores presides, an image by Fernando Ortíz that can be dressed differently depending on the occasion. The coat of arms of the Philippians over the balcony of the choir is all that remains of the organ housing built by Aldehuela.
Saint John the Baptist Church
15th - 18th centuries. The origin of the parish of San Juan Bautista (Saint John the Baptist), known by its abbreviated name as San Juan dates back to the conquest of the city by the Catholic Monarchs in 1487. San Juan was one of four parishes (with Santiago, Los Mártires and Sagrario) into which the city was divided after the Christian conquest. However, the building's current appearance and the writings on the façade are from the various interventions that occurred in the 18th century.
In fact, this parish was extensively remodelled as a result of the earthquake of 1680 as well as other reasons. The tower that can be seen today, which is unusual because it provides access to the church through the lateral nave, was built following the damage caused by this earthquake.
There is another portal on the left side that opened as recently as 1988 funded by the brotherhoods that are housed in this temple. The portal was built to avoid having to demolish and rebuild the wall to allow the thrones to enter and leave every Easter since these do not fit through the existing door.
15th - 18th centuries.Established in 1490, this is Málaga's oldest church and it was built on the site of a former mosque. Only the central entrance in the Mudéjar style remains of the original façade. The square tower in the same style was conceived as a separate minaret and was attached to the church in the 16th century. From Calle Granada, a beautiful Almohad sebka (a grid of rhombuses) cloth can be seen in one of its sections.
Inside there are three naves with valuable works by Alonso Cano and Niño de Guevara. It also contains significant items of jewellery, such as a 16th century, plateresque-style chalice with star-shaped foot and hexagonal body.
The Easter processional images of Virgen del Amor y Jesús el Rico by Navas Parejo are venerated in one of its chapels.
Pablo Ruiz Picasso, the brilliant painter who revolutionised 20th century art, was baptised here in 1881.
San Julián Church
Period: 18th century. The Church/Hospital of San Julián has its origins in the Hospital de la Caridad (Charity Hospital) that no longer exists that was provided by the Catholic Monarchs with the name of Hospital del Rey (King's Hospital). Its purpose was to house the poor and homeless besides curing the sick.
In 1680, the Hospital and all its property passed into the hands of the Order of San Juan de Dios, which founded the brotherhood called the Santa Caridad de Ntro. Sr. Jesucristo and the San Julián Hospital to shelter the poor and beggars as well as giving support and burying condemned criminals. In 1821, the municipal Welfare Board closed the church and dispersed the Brotherhood. In 1924, it was donated to the City for the care of the poor and wounded from the war in Africa and was closed in 1931.
The Diocese of Málaga regained ownership in 1972 ceding it to the Agrupación de Cofradías de Semana Santa (Association of Brotherhoods of Holy Week) as their headquarters and to house the Historical Archive of Málaga and Museo de las Cofradías de Málaga (the Brotherhoods' Museum of Málaga).
Today the museum is shared by several brotherhoods who begin their Easter processions there.
For more information visit the Museo de la Semana Santa in Málaga.
Convent of San Agustín Church
16th Century. Located in the old Calle de los Caballeros, now called Calle San Agustín, this building has three parts: church, school and monks' residence. The church's beautiful courtyard is next to the Museo Picasso Málaga (Málaga's Picasso Museum), on one of the streets that best preserves its original structure.
The church has three naves, the central one being covered by a barrel vault and lunettes set off by mouldings. The church is very bright because of the alternating spans in the arches that rest on Corinthian pilasters thought to be in the style of José Martín de Aldehuela.
The convent has always been linked to teaching work.
15th - 18th centuries. This church, located next to the Cathedral on Calle Santa María, was built between the 15th and 18th centuries and both its façade and interior altarpiece are impressive.
The portal, a masterpiece in the Elizabethan Gothic style, was built around 1498. It depicts two images praying, one accompanied by an angel and the other by the apostle James. It is believed that they represent Cardinal Mendoza and the Bishop of Málaga from the time it was built, that is, Pedro Díaz de Toledo.
The plateresque altarpiece, made in 1944 by Juan de Balmaseda, is very beautiful. It contains figures of the apostles, a Virgen Coronada, la Piedad, el Calvario and el Padre eterno (the Apostles, Our Lady Crowned, Piety, Calvary and the eternal Father) in different squares, all made of bright gold. The choir, which was built in 1749 by the master builder of the cathedral Antonio Ramos, is also noteworthy.
Santo Cristo de la Salud Church
16th Century. Known as the Santo Cristo (Holy Christ), this church was founded by the Jesuits, who also gave their name to this street (Calle de la Compañía). It is the first building on the right at the entrance of Calle de la Compañía and it is unusual in that it has a circular floor plan.
In 1572, after the Jesuits came to do missionary work in Málaga, the Jesuits decided to settle here and purchased a house next to the San Sebastian Sanctuary where they practised their ministry. They decided to build a new church because the Sanctuary was not large enough to hold public services. The works were not started until 1598 and the church opened on 28 September 1630 although some work continued until 1644.
The dome is the building's most interesting feature. Its shape is a semicircle with a ring covered in paintings that simulate masonry work in a very realistic manner.
The dome is painted in three concentric parts of great beauty with illustrative paintings that helped the brothers studying at the humanistic studies centre and to whom the building belonged, to learn.
Also important are the altar paintings and sculptures, two of which correspond to Christ Crowned with thorns and Our Lady of Grace and Hope, which are those of the popular Cofradía de los Estudiantes (Brotherhood of Students) and which leave in procession on Easter Monday on the shoulders of students from Málaga.
Sagrado Corazón Church
Located in the historic center of the city, this neo-Gothic church was built in 1920 according to a project by the architect Fernando Guerrero Strachan. Its plan is basilica and it is divided into three naves.